Dear SMS Parents, Guardians and Friends,
Summer certainly goes by quickly! We are excited to welcome back our 7th and 8th graders and get to know our 6th graders. This first newsletter is full of all the information you need to plan and prepare for a new school year. Please find some time to read it thoroughly.
For the 2016-17 school year, our School Improvement Plan (SIP) guides the work that we engage in as a school community in the following five areas:
- Instructional Practice: Gradual Release of Responsibility (Guided Instruction)
- School Structure: Effective Team Models such as our School Based Leadership Team, Student Success Team & House Teams
- School Environment: Continued implementation of the Behavior Education Plan
- Well-Rounded Curriculum: Increasing student access to World Language, Talented and Gifted & Arts programming
- Family & Community Engagement: Improving and increasing communication & engagement between school and families
The combination of core instructional practices performed from a culturally relevant perspective, along with strong student-centered support services and engaged families, support Sennett's goal of an educational program that is academically challenging and engaging for each student. Furthermore we are extremely pleased to begin our one to one technology era. This technology will be utlized to enhance the structures as aligned to our School Improvement Plan.
In closing, we value our relationships with families and seek to be clear about the purpose and rationale for the programming your student receives here every day. Through a close and collegial partnership I am confident we can make our school an even better place for our students to learn and grow.
Tremayne Clardy, Ed.D.
Sennett Middle School